||Specifies a physical-level, point-to-point, full-duplex, link interface
for reliable, flow-controlled transmission of user data at 6 400 Mbit/s per direction, across
distances of up to 1 km.
Characteristics of a HIPPI-6400-PH physical-layer interface include:
- user data transfer bandwidth of 6 400 Mbit/s (800 MByte/s);
- a full-duplex link capable of independent full-bandwidth transfers in both directions
- four virtual circuits providing a limited multiplexing capability;
- a fixed-size transfer unit, i.e., a 32-byte micropacket, for hardware efficiency;
- a small transfer unit resulting in low latency for short Messages, and a component for
- credit-based flow control that prevents buffer overflow;
- end-to-end, as well as link-to-link, checksums;
- automatic retransmission to correct flawed data providing guaranteed, in-order, reliable,
- an a.c. coupled parallel electrical interface for driving parallel copper cable over limited
- a parallel electrical interface for driving a local optical interface for longer distances.