|Reference||IEC 62040-3 ed2.0 withdrawn corrigendum||
|Title||Uninterruptible power systems (UPS) - Part 3: Method of specifying the performance and test requirements|
|Abstract||IEC 62040-3:2011 applies to movable, stationary and fixed electronic uninterruptible power systems (UPS) that deliver single or three phase fixed frequency a.c. output voltage not exceeding 1 000 V a.c. and that incorporate an energy storage system, generally connected through a d.c. link. This standard is intended to specify performance and test requirements of a complete UPS and not of individual UPS functional units. The individual UPS functional units are dealt with in IEC publications referred to in the bibliography that apply so far that they are not in contradiction with this standard. The primary function of the UPS covered by this standard is to ensure continuity of an a.c. power source. The UPS may also serve to improve the quality of the power source by keeping it within specified characteristics. UPS have been developed over a wide range of power, from less than hundred watts to several megawatts, to meet requirements for availability and quality of power to a variety of loads. Refer to Annexes A and B for information on typical UPS configurations and topologies. This standard also covers UPS test and performance when power switches form integral part of a UPS and are associated with its output. Included are interrupters, bypass switches, isolating switches, and tie switches. These switches interact with other functional units of the UPS to maintain continuity of load power. This standard does not cover:
- conventional a.c. input and output distribution boards or d.c. boards and their associated switches (e.g. switches for batteries, rectifier output or inverter input);
- stand-alone static transfer systems covered by IEC 62310-3;
- systems wherein the output voltage is derived from a rotating machine.
NOTE 1 This standard recognises that power availability to information technology (IT) equipment represents a major UPS application. The UPS output characteristics specified in this standard are therefore also aimed at ensuring compatibility with the requirements of IT equipment. This, subject any limitation stated in the manufacturer's declaration, includes requirements for steady state and transient voltage variation as well as for the supply of both linear and non-linear load characteristics of IT equipment.
NOTE 2 Test loads specified in this standard simulate both linear and non-linear load characteristics. Their use is prescribed with the objective of verifying design and performance, as declared by the manufacturer, and also of minimising any complexity and energy consumption during the tests.
NOTE 3 This standard is aimed at 50 Hz and 60 Hz applications but does not exclude other frequency applications within the domain of IEC 60196. This is subject to an agreement between manufacturer and purchase in respect to any particular requirements arising.
NOTE 4 Single phase and three-phase voltage UPS covered by this standard include without limitation UPS supplying single-phase, two-wire; single-phase, three-wire; two-phase, three-wire, three-phase, three-wire and three-phase, four-wire loads.
This second edition cancels and replaces first edition published in 1999 and constitutes a technical revision. The significant technical changes are:
- reference test load - definition and application revised (3.3.5 and 22.214.171.124);
- test schedule - presented as a single table grouped by revised type and routine tests (see 6.1.6, Table 3);
- dynamic output voltage performance characteristics - guidance to measure - addition (Annex H);
- UPS efficiency - requirements and methods of measure - addition (Annexes I and J);
- functional availability - guidance for UPS reliability integrity level classification - addition (Annex K).
|Technical Committee||22H - Uninterruptible power systems (UPS)|
|Work in progress||
Quick access by ref. number
|Your basket is empty|
|Accepted credit cards:|
|Prices in CHF (Swiss francs)|
|Request a pro forma to pay by bank transfer or cheque|
|Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options|
- Project IEC 61174 Ed. 4.0
- Project IEC 61010-2-040 Ed. 2.0
- Project IEC 61048-am1 Ed. 2.0
- S+ IEC 60335-2-80 Ed. 3.0
- S+ IEC 60404-5 Ed. 3.0
- CISPR 24 Ed. 2.1
- IEC 62560 Ed. 1.1