Identification cards - Integrated circuit cards - Part 15: Cryptographic information application
The objectives of this part of ISO/IEC 7816 are to
- facilitate interoperability among components running on various platforms (platform neutral),
- enable applications in the outside world to take advantage of products and components from multiple manufacturers (vendor neutral),
- enable the use of advances in technology without rewriting application-level software (application neutral), and
- maintain consistency with existing, related standards while expanding upon them only where necessary and practical.
It supports the following capabilities:
- storage of multiple instances of cryptographic information in a card;
- use of the cryptographic information;
- retrieval of the cryptographic information, a key factor for this is the notion of "Directory Files", which provides a layer of indirection between objects on the card and the actual format of these objects;
- cross-referencing of the cryptographic information with DOs defined in other parts of ISO/IEC 7816 when appropriate;
- different authentication mechanisms;
- multiple cryptographic algorithms (the suitability of these is outside the scope of this part of ISO/IEC 7816).
ISO/IEC 7816-15.2016 does not cover the internal implementation within the card and/or the outside world. It is not mandatory for implementations complying with this International Standard to support all options described.
In case of discrepancies between ASN.1 definitions in the body of the text and the module in Annex A, Annex A takes precedence.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 17 - Cards and security devices for personal identificationrss|
|ICS||35.240.15 - Identification cards and related devices|
|File size||1393 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.