Fire hazard testing - Part 10-2: Abnormal heat - Ball pressure test method
AbstractIEC 60695-10-2:2014 specifies the ball pressure test as a method for evaluating the softening temperature and accelerated material flow under load of polymeric materials and parts of end products in their ability to resist abnormal heat. It is applicable to the materials used in electrotechnical equipment, subassemblies and components, and to solid electrical insulating materials except ceramics. The Ball Pressure test method is not appropriate for certain elastomers, foamed materials, and other materials that tend to be soft at room temperature. Product Committees are encouraged to evaluate these materials using other methods such as IEC 60695-10-3. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition of IEC 60695-10-2 published in 2003. It constitutes a technical revision. The main changes with respect to the previous edition are as follows:
- The addition of an introduction introduces the user to the basic guidance documents published by TC 89,
- Addition of a reference to IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51 in the Scope,
- Additional relevant Terms and Definitions in new Clause 3,
- 5.2: Additional requirements to the test specimen support at the suggestion of IECEE-CTL to improve reproducibility,
- 5.3: Clarification of heating oven requirements at the suggestion of IECEE-CTL to improve reproducibility,
- 5.4: Specification of minimum resolution consistent with method requirements for optical measurement instrument,
- New Test Procedure in Clauses 6 and 8 which introduces separate methods for End Product proof testing (Method A) and material performance testing (Method B) and
- Updated Clause 11 Test Report to be consistent with other IEC 60695 documents.
It has the status of a horizontal standard in accordance with IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51. Key words: Abnormal heat, Ball pressure test method, Fire hazard
|Publication type||International Standard|
|Available language(s)||English/French, Spanish|
|TC/SC||TC 89 - Fire hazard testingrss|
|ICS||13.220.40 - Ignitability and burning behaviour of materials and products|
29.020 - Electrical engineering in general
|File size||1219 KB|
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). The following credit cards are accepted: American express, Mastercard and Visa. Request a pro forma to pay by bank transfer.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.