Fire hazard testing - Part 2-11: Glowing/hot-wire based test methods - Glow-wire flammability test method for end-products (GWEPT)
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 60695-2-11:2014 RLV
IEC 60695-2-11:2014 specifies a test method on an end product. It is intended to simulate the effects of thermal stresses produced by an electrically heated source to represent a fire hazard. This test method is used to check that, under defined test conditions, an end product exposed to an electrically heated source has either a limited ability to ignite or, if it ignites, a limited ability to propagate flame. However, the fire hazard analysis, the flammability aspects and the flame spreading to otherproducts are not covered by the present standard. This second edition of IEC 60695-2-11 cancels and replaces the first edition of IEC 60695-2-11 published in 2000. It constitutes a technical revision. The main changes with respect to the previous edition are:
- the Introduction has been added to provide background and how it relates to the Scope,
- the Scope has been modified for greater clarity and reference to basic safety publications,
- numerous terms and definitions relevant to this Standard have been added to Clause 3,
- the application of "small parts" and "insignificant mass" have been introduced and clarified,
- the different types of specimens, how to specify them, and limitations of the test method have been further clarified in Clause 4,
- clarified in Clause 5 the distance to specified layer when unknown,
- the information from Clause 6 has been moved into the test procedure in Clause 8,
- the conditioning of the specified layer and the laboratory ambient test conditions were clarified in Clause 7,
- measurement of the maximum flame height was removed from Clause 9,
- the reference to this test as "GWEPT" was introduced along with an applicable title change and
- Annex A has been revised to reflect current practice by prominent product committees.
It has the status of a horizontal standard in accordance with IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51. Key words: Glowing/hot-wire, Glow wire, Flammability, Fire hazard
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60695-2-10:2013.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|Available language(s)||English/French, Spanish|
|TC/SC||TC 89 - Fire hazard testingrss|
|ICS||13.220.40 - Ignitability and burning behaviour of materials and products|
29.020 - Electrical engineering in general
|File size||1039 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.