Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-40: Particular requirements for electrical heat pumps, air-conditioners and dehumidifiers
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 60335-2-40:2018 RLV
IEC 60335-2-40:2018 deals with the safety of electric heat pumps, including sanitary hot water heat pumps, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers incorporating motor-compressors and hydronic fan coils units, their maximum rated voltages being not more than 250 V for single phase appliances and 600 V for all other appliances. Partial units are within the scope of this International Standard.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. The appliances referenced above may consist of one or more factory-made assemblies. If provided in more than one assembly, the separate assemblies are to be used together, and the requirements are based on the use of matched assemblies. This standard does not take into account refrigerants other than group A1, A2L, A2 and A3 as defined by ISO 817 classification, A2L refrigerants are limited to those of a molar mass of more than or equal to 42 kg/kmol based on WCF – Worst Case Formulation as specified in ISO 817. This standard specifies particular requirements for the use of flammable refrigerants. Unless specifications are covered by this standard, including the annexes, requirements for refrigerating safety are covered by ISO 5149. Supplementary heaters, or a provision for their separate installation, are within the scope of this standard, but only heaters which are designed as a part of the appliance package, the controls being incorporated in the appliance. For appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary; for appliances subjected to pressure, additional requirements may be necessary; This standard does not apply to: humidifiers intended for use with heating and cooling equipment (IEC 60335-2-88); appliances designed exclusively for industrial processing or appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas). This sixth edition cancels and replaces the fifth edition published in 2013 and its Amendment 1:2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Clause 1 – limiting A2L refrigerants to those of a molar mass of more than or equal to 42 kg/kmol;
- Clause 7 – added requirements for A2L refrigerants,
- Clause 7 – added requirement for pre-charge pipe sets, detection systems, ventilation and the resulting charge;
- Clause 7 – added requirements for UV-C systems;
- Clause 7 – added requirements for transcritical refrigerating systems;
- Subclause 19.7 – amended text to match the intention of the subclause;
- Clause 21 – added requirements for transcritical refrigerating systems;
- Subclause 22 – added requirements for A2L refrigerants;
- Subclause 22– added detection systems;
- Subclause 22 – added new requirements for enhanced tightness refrigerating systems;
- Subclause 22 – added new requirements for UV-C;
- Clause 23 – added new requirements for UV-C;Clause
- Clause 24 – added requirements for transcritical refrigerating systems;
- Subclause 24 – added requirements for detection systems and airflow;
- Clause 32 added new requirements for UV-C;
- Annex BB – revised to add surface temperatures;
- Annex DD – added requirements for A2L refrigerants and amended requirements for flammable refrigerants to exempt A2L refrigerants;
- Annex GG – added requirements for A2L refrigerants;
- Annex GG.1 – amended Table GG.1 and related wording
- Annex GG.7 – added requirement to test;
- Annex GG.8 to GG.13 – new coverage for A2L refrigerants;
- Annex HH – revised to take into account A2L refrigerants;
- Annex JJ – new coverage of allowable opening of relays and similar components to prevent ignition of A2L refrigerants;
- Annex KK – new coverage of test method for hot surface ignition temperature for A2L;
- Annex LL – new coverage of refrigerant detection systems for A2L Refrigerants;
- Annex MM – new coverage of refrigerant sensor location confirmation test;
- Annex NN – new coverage of flame arrest enclosure verification test for A2L refrigerants;
- Annex OO – new coverage of UV radiation conditioning
- Bibliography – added new references.
This part 2-40 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of IEC 60335-1:2010, its Amendment 1:2013 and its Amendment 2:2016.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61/SC 61D - Appliances for air-conditioning for household and similar purposesrss|
|ICS||23.120 - Ventilators. Fans. Air-conditioners|
|File size||2161 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.