Junction boxes for photovoltaic modules - Safety requirements and tests
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 62790:2020 RLV
This document applies also to enclosures mounted on PV-modules containing electronic circuits for converting, controlling, monitoring or similar operations. Additional requirements concerning the relevant operations are applied under consideration of the environmental conditions of the PV-modules. This document does not apply to the electronic circuits of these devices, for which other IEC standards apply. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2014. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Modifications in normative references and terms and definitions;
- Improvement of declaration of categories for junction boxes in 4.1;
- Clarification for ambient temperature in 4.1;
- Addition of requirement to provide information concerning RTE/RTI or TI in 4.2;
- Reference to IEC 62930 instead of EN 50618 in 4.6;
- Addition of "Functional insulation" in Table 1;
- Addition of "Distance through cemented joints" in Table 3;
- Correction of procedure of process to categorize material groups (deletion of PTI) in 18.104.22.168;
- Requirement for approval of RTE/RTI or TI for insulation parts in 4.16.1 and 4.16.2;
- Change of requirements concerning electrochemical potential in 4.17.2;
- Clarification for IP-test in 22.214.171.124;
- Addition of test voltage for cemented joints in 5.3.6 and 5.3.16;
- Addition of detailled description on how to prepare the test sample for the thermal cycle test in 126.96.36.199;
- New test procedure for bypass diode thermal test (5.3.18) in accordance with MQT 18.1 of IEC 61215-2:2016;
- New test procedure for reverse overload current test in 5.3.23;
- New Figure 1 for thermal cycle test.
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.