Specifications for the re-use of sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) and its mixtures in electrical equipment
Sulphur hexafluoride (SF6), nitrogen (N2) and carbon tetrafluoride (CF4), are gases commonly used for electrical equipment. Taking into account environmental concerns, particular attention is paid to re-use criteria for SF6 and its mixtures with N2 and CF4 for its use in electrical equipment. Procedures for recovering and reclaiming used SF6 and its mixtures are outside the scope of this document and are described in IEC 62271-4.
This document provides several annexes on the description of the different methods of analysis, on by-products, on the procedure for evaluating the potential health effects from by-products, on cryogenic reclaiming of SF6, and on reclaiming recommendations.
Storage, transportation and disposal of SF6 and its mixtures are outside the scope of this document and are covered by IEC 62271-4. Procedures to determine SF6 leakages are described in IEC 60068-2-17.
For the purposes of this document, the complementary gases used in SF6 mixtures will be limited to N2 or CF4.
This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition, published in 2004. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
• specifications for the re-use of SF6 have been confirmed;
• specifications for the re-use of SF6 mixtures, namely SF6/N2 and SF6/CF4 mixtures are included;
• as a result of a new repartition of annexes in IEC 60376, IEC 60480 and IEC 62271-4, this new edition now contains the following five annexes:
– Annex A: Description of methods of analysis (on-site and laboratory);
– Annex B: By–products of SF6 and its mixtures;
– Annex C: Procedure for evaluating the potential effects on health from by products of SF6 and its mixtures;
– Annex D: Reclaiming recommendations.
– Annex E: Cryogenic reclaiming of SF6;
|Publication type||International Standard|
|Available language(s)||English/French, Spanish|
|TC/SC||TC 10 - Fluids for electrotechnical applicationsrss|
|ICS||29.040.20 - Insulating gases|
29.130.01 - Switchgear and controlgear in general
|File size||3508 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.