Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-96: Particular requirements for flexible sheet heating elements for room heating
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 60335-2-96:2019 RLV
Flexible sheet heating elements are converted into heating units that are incorporated in the building in accordance with the instructions after which the required level of protection against hazards is achieved. Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– in many countries, different wiring rules apply;
– for heating units intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national authorities for fire protection, the national authorities for building regulations, the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
– heating units intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
– heating units intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– blankets, pads, clothing and similar flexible heating appliances (IEC 60335-2-17);
– foot warmers and heating mats (IEC 60335-2-81);
– heated carpets and for heating units for room heating installed under removable floor coverings (IEC 60335-2-106);
– flexible sheet heating elements incorporated in other appliances.
This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2002, Amendment 1:2003 and Amendment 2: 2008. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the first edition:
– aligns the text with IEC 60335-1:2010, and its Amendments 1 and 2;
– some notes have been converted to normative text or deleted (5.6, 7.12.1, 10.1, 11.2.103, 13.1, 13.2, 16.2, 16.3, 18.101, 18.102.5, 21.1, 22.103, 22.105, 22.106);
– the strength test for heating units incorporating insulated wires intended to be installed in floors has been modified a (21.103);
– the scope and specific requirements have been added for heating units installed in walls below a height of 1,2 m (6.2, 7.1, 7.12.1, 7.12.6, 7.101, 11.2, 19.2, 22.106, 24.102, Annex AA).
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61 - Safety of household and similar electrical appliancesrss|
|ICS||97.100.10 - Electric heaters|
13.120 - Domestic safety
|File size||2541 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.