Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-40: Particular requirements for electrical heat pumps, air-conditioners and dehumidifiers
Note: a commented version of this publication exists
IEC 60335-2-40:2022 CMV
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on-board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified, for example, by the national health authorities responsible for the protection of labour and the national authorities responsible for storage, transportation, building constructions and installations.
This document does not apply to
- humidifiers intended for use with heating and cooling equipment (IEC 60335-2-88);
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial processing;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2018. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Clause 1: added thermoelectric heat pumps to the scope and increased maximum rated voltage to 300 V for single phase appliances;
- Clause 7: revised requirements for marking on the appliance and packaging, including a symbol for minimum floor area and modifying the symbol for flammable refrigerants to include the safety group per ISO 817;
- Clause 11 and Clause 19: restructured for alignment with Part 1 and added requirements for supplementary air heaters;
- Clause 13 and Clause 16: revised requirement for leakage current for stationary class I motor-operated appliances;
- Clause 21: added requirements for particle foam material and revised requirements for transport testing;
- Clause 22: removed limit on the sum of refrigerant charges for appliances with multiple refrigerating systems, and revised requirements for avoiding ignition sources, leak detection systems, safety shut-off valves, and particle foam material;
- Clause 23: added requirements to avoid contact between wires and refrigerant piping;
- Clause 24
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61/SC 61D - Appliances for air-conditioning for household and similar purposesrss|
|ICS||23.120 - Ventilators. Fans. Air-conditioners|
|File size||3497 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.