IEC 62305-3:2018 PRV
Pre release version
Protection against lightning - Part 3: Physical damage to structures and life hazard
IEC 62305-3:2018 provides the requirements for protection of a structure against physical damage by means of a lightning protection system (LPS), and for protection against injury to human beings due to touch and step voltages in the vicinity of an LPS (see IEC 62305-1). This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition, published in 2010. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Minimum thicknesses of metal sheets or metal pipes are given in Table 4 for air-termination systems where it is necessary to prevent hot-spot problems. Maximum temperature rises ΔT (K) and time duration t50 (s) for different thickness and long strokes are also given.
- Cross reference to IEC 62561 (all parts) is made in choosing components of the LPS.
- The application of two methods – general and simplified – for separation distance calculation is clarified.
- Some changes to the requirements for continuity of steel reinforcement are made.
- Revision of positioning of air-termination conductors according to the three accepted methods and a more precise description of the methods for positioning of the air-termination systems, according to the complexity of structures to be protected, are made. The main text has been simplified, Annex A has been deleted and all detailed information has been moved to Annex D.
- Information on the protection of green roofs is introduced in Annex D.
- Information on the protection of protruding parts on facades of tall buildings is introduced in Annex D.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 81 - Lightning protectionrss|
|ICS||29.020 - Electrical engineering in general
91.120.40 - Lightning protection
|File size||8951 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.