Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-10: Particular requirements for floor treatment machines and wet scrubbing machines
Note: a commented version of this publication exists
IEC 60335-2-10:2021 CMV
Examples of floor treatment machines that this standard is applicable to are
– floor buffers;
– floor polishers;
– floor waxers.
Examples of wet scrubbing machines that this standard is applicable to are
– floor scrubbers;
– rug shampooers;
– upholstery shampooers.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, hotels, offices, schools, hospitals and similar premises, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– vacuum cleaners and water suction cleaning appliances (IEC 60335-2-2);
– appliances intended for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour, or gas);
– floor sanding machines;
– floor treatment machines for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-67, IEC 60335-2-72).
This sixth edition cancels and replaces the fifth edition published in 2002 and Amendment 1:2008. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the text has been aligned with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) some notes have been converted to normative text (Clause 1, 19.10, 20.1, 20.2, 22.101);
c) introductions of limits on the temperature rise of external accessible surfaces (Clause 11);
d) relocation of cord reel modification from 11.7 to 11.2 to align with Part 1;
e) modification of the resistance to moisture test (15.2);
f) clarification of the stability test (20.1).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61 - Safety of household and similar electrical appliancesrss|
|ICS||13.120 - Domestic safety
97.080 - Cleaning appliances
|File size||1134 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.