IEC 61300-3-35:2022 PRV
Pre release version
Fibre optic interconnecting devices and passive components - Basic test and measurement procedures - Part 3-35: Examinations and measurements - Visual inspection of fibre optic connectors and fibre-stub transceivers
IEC 61300-3-35:2022 is concerned with the observation and classification of debris, scratches and defects. The inspection requirements are based on IEC TR 62627-05. Advice for cleaning of contamination from fibres/ferrule is found in IEC TR 62627-01 and a recommendation is given in Annex D. IEC TR 62572-4 provides the cleaning method for a stub for optical transceivers. Visual inspection is in addition to, and does not replace measurement of performance parameters such as attenuation and return loss, or end face parameters. The dimensions specified are chosen such that they can be easily estimated. Not only the zones A and B on the fibre are inspected for defects and scratches but the whole contact area (where the two fibres/ferrules meet when mated) needs to be inspected for contamination (this is up to 250 µm diameter for cylindrical ferrules and the whole ferrule surface for rectangular ferrules). This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- adding of a statement that visual inspection is not a substitute for optical qualification such as attenuation and return loss measurement;
- adding of some terms and definitions;
- adding requirements for SM 35 dB connectors;
- adding of a sentence in Clause 5 concerning the susceptibility of the methods to system variability and variability within systems from same supplier;
- removal of inspection requirements for zones C and D;
- insertion of a generic cleanliness specification for whole rectangular ferrule and 250 µm area around every fibre;
- adding a cleaning recommendation for rectangular and cylindrical ferrules;
- outer edge of inspection zone B has changed from 115 µm to 110 µm to meet manufacturing tolerances of fixture for microscopes;
- change that defects that are partly in core are only to be judged for the part they are in the core. The remainder of the defect is considered to be located in the cladding.
- adding a statement that a connector cannot be rejected by just failing visual inspection. Meeting the specified optical performance determines the use of this connector.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 86/SC 86B - Fibre optic interconnecting devices and passive componentsrss|
|ICS||33.180.20 - Fibre optic interconnecting devices|
|File size||4066 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.