IEC 60335-2-60:2023 PRV
Pre release version
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-60: Particular requirements for whirlpool baths and whirlpool spas
IEC 60335-2-60:2023 deals with the safety of electric whirlpool baths for indoor use and whirlpool spas, for household and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances, including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances.
This standard also applies to appliances for circulating air or water in conventional baths.
This standard applies to factory-built self-contained whirlpool baths or whirlpool spas in which all controls and components are integral parts of the appliance and are located within or affixed to the whirlpool bath or whirlpool spa structure.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in hotels, fitness centres and similar places, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account:
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national water supply authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– equipment for water circulation in swimming and motion exercise pools;
– cleaning appliances for swimming pools;
– appliances intended for medical purposes (IEC 60601 series);
– field-engineered, non-self-contained permanently installed whirlpool baths or whirlpool spas custom designed to fit a specific location, being assembled or constructed at the final installation location;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2017. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) conversion of some notes to normative text (Clause 1, 7.12.1);
c) addition of hyperthermia instructions and installation instructions related to the wiring rules (7.12, 7.12.1);
d) modifications related to IEC 60364-7-702 and transportable whirlpool spas (Clause 1, 5.101, 6.1, 6.2, 7.12.1, 7.15, 13.1, 13.2, 16.1, 16.2, 22.33, 22.107, 25.1);
e) introduction of surface temperature limits (Clause 11);
f) addition of water temperature limit at the suction/return openings (11.8, 11.101);
g) modification to the tests of 19.2 and 19.3 specifying the types of devices that are rendered inoperative.
h) addition of requirement for thermal cut-outs to be trip free (24.101).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61 - Safety of household and similar electrical appliancesrss|
|ICS||13.120 - Domestic safety
97.030 - Domestic electrical appliances in general
|File size||951 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 16:00 CET Monday to Friday.