ISO/IEC 11770-3:2008 Withdrawn
Information technology -- Security techniques -- Key management -- Part 3: Mechanisms using asymmetric techniques
- Establish a shared secret key for a symmetric cryptographic technique between two entities A and B by key agreement. In a secret key agreement mechanism, the secret key is the result of a data exchange between the two entities A and B. Neither of them can predetermine the value of the shared secret key.
- Establish a shared secret key for a symmetric cryptographic technique between two entities A and B by key transport. In a secret key transport mechanism, the secret key is chosen by one entity A and is transferred to another entity B, suitably protected by asymmetric techniques.
- Make an entity's public key available to other entities by key transport. In a public key transport mechanism, the public key of entity A must be transferred to other entities in an authenticated way, but not requiring secrecy.
Some of the mechanisms of ISO/IEC 11770-3:2008 are based on the corresponding authentication mechanisms in ISO/IEC 9798-3.
ISO/IEC 11770-3:2008 does not cover aspects of key management such as
- key lifecycle management,
- mechanisms to generate or validate asymmetric key pairs,
- mechanisms to store, archive, delete, destroy, etc. keys.
While ISO/IEC 11770-3:2008 does not explicitly cover the distribution of an entity's private key (of an asymmetric key pair) from a trusted third party to a requesting entity, the key transport mechanisms described can be used to achieve this. A private key can in all cases be distributed with these mechanisms where an existing, non-compromised key already exists. However, in practice the distribution of private keys is usually a manual process that relies on technological means like smart cards, etc.
ISO/IEC 11770-3:2008 does not cover the implementations of the transformations used in the key management mechanisms.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 - Information security, cybersecurity and privacy protectionrss|
|ICS||35.030 - IT Security|
|File size||555 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.