Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control, and laboratory use - Part 2-120: Particular safety requirements for machinery aspects of equipment
IEC 61010-2-120:2016 specifies particular safety requirements for the following types of electrical equipment and their accessories, wherever they are intended to be used, which fall under a), b), or c) below and present HAZARDS from the power driven moving parts according to one or more of the items 1) to 5) used by the equipment for a specific application.
1) An assembly, fitted with or intended to be fitted with a drive system other than directly applied human or animal effort, consisting of linked parts or components, at least one of which moves, and which are joined together for a specific application.
2) An assembly referred to in item 1), missing only the components to connect it on site or to sources of energy and motion.
3) An assembly referred to in items 1) and 2), ready to be installed and able to function as it stands only if mounted on a means of transport, or installed in a building or a structure.
4) Assemblies referred to in items 1), 2) and 3) or partly completed assemblies which, in order to achieve the same end, are arranged and controlled so that they function as an integral whole. A partly completed assembly is equipment which cannot perform a specific application by itself. A partly completed assembly is only intended to be incorporated into, or assembled with, other equipment, thereby forming equipment to which this standard applies.
5) An assembly of linked parts or components, at least one of which moves and which are joined together, intended for lifting loads and whose only power source is directly applied human effort.
a) Electrical test and measurement equipment
This is equipment which by electromagnetic means tests, measures, indicates or records one or more electrical or physical quantities, also non-measuring equipment such as signal generators, measurement standards, power supplies for laboratory use,
transducers, transmitters, etc.
NOTE 1 This includes bench-top power supplies intended to aid a testing or measuring operation on another piece of equipment. Power supplies intended to power equipment are within the scope of IEC 61558 (see 1.1.2 h)).
This standard also applies to test equipment integrated into manufacturing processes and intended for testing manufactured devices.
NOTE 2 Manufacturing test equipment is likely to be installed adjacent to and interconnected with industrial machinery in this application.
b) Electrical industrial process-control equipment
This is equipment which controls one or more output quantities to specific values, with each value determined by manual setting, by local or remote programming, or by one or more input variables.
c) Electrical laboratory equipment
This is equipment which measures, indicates, monitors, inspects or analyses materials, or is used to prepare materials, and includes in vitro diagnostic (IVD) equipment.
This equipment may also be used in areas other than laboratories; examples include selftest IVD equipment to be used in the home and inspection equipment to be used to check people or material during transportation.
If all or part of the equipment falls within the scope of one or more other part 2 standards of IEC 61010 as well as within the scope of this standard, it will also need to meet the requirements of those other Part 2 standards.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 66 - Safety of measuring, control and laboratory equipmentrss|
|ICS||19.080 - Electrical and electronic testing|
|File size||1394 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.