IEC TS 61000-1-2:2008 Withdrawn
Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) - Part 1-2: General - Methodology for the achievement of functional safety of electrical and electronic systems including equipment with regard to electromagnetic phenomena
Note: this publication has been replaced by IEC 61000-1-2:2016
AbstractIEC/TS 61000-1-2:2008(E) establishes a methodology for the achievement of functional safety only with regard to electromagnetic phenomena of electrical and electronic systems and installations, as installed and used under operational conditions. This methodology includes the implication it has on equipment used in such systems and installations. IEC/TS 61000-1-2:2008:
a) applies to safety-related systems incorporating electrical/electronic/programmable electronic equipment;
b) considers the influence of the electromagnetic environment on safety-related systems; it is intended for designers, manufacturers and installers of safety-related systems and can be used as a guide by IEC committees;
c) is not concerned with direct hazards from electromagnetic fields on living beings nor is it concerned with safety related to breakdown of insulation or other mechanisms by which persons can be exposed to electrical hazards.
IEC/TS 61000-1-2:2008 mainly covers EMC related aspects of the design phase of safety-related systems and equipment used therein, and deals in particular with
- some basic concepts in the area of functional safety,
- the various EMC specific steps for the achievement and management of functional safety,
- the description and assessment of the electromagnetic environment,
- the EMC aspects of the design and integration process taking into account the process of EMC safety planning on system as well as on equipment level,
- the validation and verification processes regarding the immunity against electromagnetic disturbances,
- the performance criterion and some test philosophy considerations for safety-related systems and the equipment used therein,
- aspects related to testing of the immunity of safety-related systems and equipment used therein against electromagnetic disturbances.
IEC/TS 61000-1-2:2008 is applicable to safety-related systems intended to comply with the requirements of IEC 61508 and/or associated sector-specific functional safety standards. For safety-related systems covered by other functional safety standards, a consideration shall be made of the requirements of this Technical Specification in order to identify the appropriate measures that shall be taken with relation to EMC and functional safety. IEC/TS 61000-1-2:2008 may also be used as a guide for considering EMC requirements for other systems having a direct contribution to safety. IEC/TS 61000-1-2:2008 has the status of a basic safety publication in accordance with IEC Guide 104. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2001 and constitutes a technical revision. The main changes are the following:
- For safety-related systems that use electrical, electronic or programmable electronic technologies, the technical information, definitions, terminology and text of this second edition have been aligned to IEC 61508.
- Risk assessment requirements and methodologies have been deleted from this document, so as not to duplicate or clash with IEC 61508.
- It now makes a clear distinction between complete safety-related systems and items of equipment that might be used in such systems, and clarifies its application by the different types of end-users.
- It focuses more on appropriate design methods, and their verification and validation.
- The methodology for assessing and specifying electromagnetic environments has been extended.
- The combination of electromagnetic and physical/climatic influences are taken into account.
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). The following credit cards are accepted: American express, Mastercard and Visa. Request a pro forma to pay by bank transfer.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.