Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control, and laboratory use - Part 2-033: Particular requirements for hand-held multimeters and other meters for domestic and professional use, capable of measuring mains voltage
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 61010-2-033:2019 RLV
IEC 61010-2-033:2019 specifies safety requirements for hand-held multimeters for domestic and professional use, capable of measuring mains. Hand-held multimeters are multi-range multifunction measuring instruments intended to measure voltage and other electrical quantities such as resistance or current. Their primary purpose is to measure voltage on a live mains. They are suitable to be supported by one hand during normal use. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2012. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- The scope has been reduced to hand-held multimeters. Voltmeters and clamp multimeters have been removed. They are addressed respectively by IEC 61010-2-030 and IEC 61010-2-032. The relevant definitions have been removed.
- Subclause 220.127.116.11 has been relocated into Clause 102.
- Clearances and creepage distances for wet locations and for measuring circuit terminals exceeding 1 000 V a.c. or 1 414 V d.c. have been specified.
- Subclause 14.101 related to "Circuits or components used as transient overvoltage limiting devices in measuring circuits used to measure mains" has been removed.
- References to IEC 61010-031 for probe assemblies and IEC 61010-2-032 for current sensors have been added.
- Requirements for protection against mains overvoltage measuring circuits have been added.
- Clause 102 has been rewritten.
- Requirements for measuring circuits from 1 000 V to 3 000 V have been added.
- An informative Annex CC about dimensions of 4-mm banana terminals has been added.
- A flowchart for insulation according to the type of circuit has been added in a new Annex DD.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 66 - Safety of measuring, control and laboratory equipmentrss|
|ICS||19.080 - Electrical and electronic testing
71.040.10 - Chemical laboratories. Laboratory equipment
|File size||2840 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.