Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-2: Particular requirements for vacuum cleaners and water-suction cleaning appliances
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 60335-2-2:2019 RLV
This standard also applies to motorized cleaning heads and current-carrying hoses associated with a particular vacuum cleaner.
Battery-operated appliances and other DC supplied appliances are within the scope of this standard. Dual supply appliances, either mains-supplied or battery-operated, are regarded as battery-operated appliances when operated in the battery mode.
Appliances not intended for normal household use, but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and other premises for normal housekeeping purposes, are within the scope of this standard.
Examples of such appliances are appliances intended to be used for normal housekeeping purposes in hotels, offices, schools, hospitals and similar premises.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– wet and dry vacuum cleaners, including power brush, for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-69).
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2009, Amendment 1:2012 and Amendment 2:2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– some requirements for appliances for animal grooming have been modified (6.1, 25.7)
– the note in 7.101 has been deleted;
– converted some notes to normative text (7.102, 10.1, 11.3, 13.1, 15.2, 15.101, 19.101, 20.1, 20.2, 21.103, 21.105, 22.32, 25.23);
– clarification that the test of 19.7 is applicable to vacuum cleaners with a motorized brush or similar device;
– modified Annex R for alignment with 22.201 of Annex B;
– modified Annex S in accordance with IEC 60335-2-2:2009/ISH1:2016.
This Part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61 - Safety of household and similar electrical appliancesrss|
|ICS||13.120 - Domestic safety
97.080 - Cleaning appliances
|File size||1563 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.