Luminaires - Part 1: General requirements and tests
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 60598-1:2020 RLV
IEC 60598-1:2020 specifies general requirements for luminaires, incorporating electric light sources for operation from supply voltages up to 1 000 V. The requirements and related tests of this document cover: classification, marking, mechanical construction, electrical construction and photobiological safety. This ninth edition cancels and replaces the eighth edition published in 2014 and Amendment 1:2017. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Revision of Clause 4.30, Fixing cover live parts of non-user replaceable light source;
- Subclause 4.24.2, Blue Light Hazard: removal of Risk Group 0;
- Subclause 5.2.16: additional requirements for AC mains appliance inlets related to IEC 61984;
- Addition of Subclause 3.3.25, UV protection of cable;
- Addition of Clause 4.34, Inclusion of EMF safety requirements (IEC 62493);
- Revision of the requirements for functional earth and protective earth;
- Addition of Clause 4.35, Protection against fast rotating parts;
- Revision of Clause 3.2, Rated voltage marking;
- Revision of Subclause 5.2.10, Cord anchorage;
- Revision of Annex G for touch current and protective conductor current test set-up;
- Addition of requirements for constant light output function and programmable current output;
- Revision of Subclause 8.2.3 c), touch voltage limits for interrupted DC voltage;
- Introduction of PELV;
- Introduction of Ethernet power supply connection for luminaires (PoE);
- Section 9, Introduction of IPX9;
- Addition of Subclause 3.3.26 for wall mounted luminaires;
- Revision of Annex D introducing alternative thermal tests for luminaires with ta marking higher than 25°C;
- Revision of Table 10.3 and Subclause 3.3.19 for protective conductor current limits;
- Track-mounted luminaires: cross reference to Annex A of IEC 60570:2003/AMD2:2019;
- Revision of Subclause 10.2.2, alternative DC electric strength test;
- Revision of Annex D for recessed luminaires;
- Subclause 4.12.5: revision of Table 4.2 for torque test on metal glands;
- Revision of use of bridging capacitors in luminaires;
- Revision of electrical connection to class III plugs.
The contents of the Interpretation sheet 1 (2023-08) have been included in this copy.
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 16:00 CET Monday to Friday.