Explosive atmospheres - Part 17: Electrical installations inspection and maintenance
- other fundamental installation and inspection requirements for electrical installations;
- the verification of electrical equipment;
- the repair and reclamation of explosion protected equipment (see IEC 60079-19). This standard supplements the requirements of IEC 60364-6. In the case of dusts, fibres or flyings the level of housekeeping may influence the inspection and maintenance requirements. This standard is intended to be applied where there can be a risk due to the presence of explosive gas or dust mixtures with air or combustible dust layers under normal atmospheric conditions. It does not apply to:
- underground mining areas,
- dusts of explosives that do not require atmospheric oxygen for combustion,
- pyrophoric substances. This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2007 and constitutes a technical revision. The significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition are as follows:
- Equipment specific inspection tables for luminaires, heating systems and motors have been added into Annex A to supplement the general protection concept tables;
- Document has been updated to complement the changes made to IEC 60079-14 for initial inspection. Keywords: inspection and maintenance of electrical installations within hazardous area, flammable gases, vapours, mists, dusts, fibres or flyings
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60364-6:2006.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|Available language(s)||English/French, Spanish|
|TC/SC||TC 31/SC 31J - Classification of hazardous areas and installation requirementsrss|
|ICS||29.260.20 - Electrical apparatus for explosive atmospheres|
|File size||1405 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
- Blog post: mitigating risk in explosive atmospheres
- Article: reducing risks in oil and gas transportation
- Article: control dusts and avoid incidents
Share this page
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.