IEC 60730-2-8:2018 RLV
Automatic electrical controls - Part 2-8: Particular requirements for electrically operated water valves, including mechanical requirements
IEC 60730-2-8:2018 applies to electrically operated water valves for use in, on or in association with equipment for household and similar use, including heating, air-conditioning and similar applications. The equipment can use electricity, gas, oil, solid fuel, solar thermal energy, etc., or a combination thereof. This document is applicable to electrically operated water valves for building automation within the scope of ISO 16484. This document also applies to automatic electrically operated water valves for equipment that can be used by the public, such as equipment intended to be used in shops, offices, hospitals, farms and commercial and industrial applications. This document does not apply to electrically operated water valves intended exclusively for industrial process applications unless explicitly mentioned in the relevant equipment standard. This document applies to electrically operated water valves powered by primary or secondary batteries, requirements for which are contained within the standard, including Annex V. This document does not cover the prevention of contamination of drinking water as a result of contact with materials. This document applies to the inherent safety, to the operating values, operating times and operating sequences where such are associated with equipment safety, and to the testing of automatic electrical control devices used in, on or in association with, household and similar equipment. This document contains requirements for electrical features of water valves and requirements for mechanical features of valves that affect their intended operation. This document is also applicable to electrically operated water valves for appliances within the scope of the IEC 60335 series of standards. This document does not apply to:
- electrically operated water valves of nominal connection size above DN 50;
- electrically operated water valves for admissible nominal pressure rating above 1,6 MPa;
- food dispensers;
- detergent dispensers;
- steam valves;
- electrically operated water valves designed exclusively for industrial applications. This document applies to electrically operated water valves, responsive to or controlling such characteristics as temperature, pressure, passage of time, humidity, light, electrostatic effects, flow, or liquid level, current, voltage, acceleration, or combinations thereof. This document also applies to actuators and to valve bodies which are designed to be fitted to each other. This document applies to individual valves, valves utilized as part of a system and valves mechanically integral with multi-functional controls having non-electrical outputs. This document applies to AC or DC powered electrically operated water valves with a rated voltage not exceeding 690 V AC or 600 V DC. This document does not take into account the response value of an automatic action of a valve, if such a response value is dependent upon the method of mounting the valve in the equipment. Where a response value is of significant purpose for the protection of the user, or surroundings, the value defined in the appropriate equipment standard or as determined by the manufacturer shall apply. This document applies also to electrically operated water valves incorporating electronic devices, requirements for which are contained in Annex H. This document applies also to electrically operated water valves using NTC or PTC thermistors, requirements for which are contained in Annex J. This document applies to the electrical and functional safety of electrically operated water valves capable of receiving and responding to communications signals, including signals for power billing rate and demand response. The signals can be transmitted to or received from external units being part of the valve (wired), or to and from external units which are not part of the valve (wireless) under test. This document does not address the integrity of the output signal to the network devices, such as interoperability with other devices unless it has been evaluated as part of the control system. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2000, Amendment 1:2002 and its Amendment 2:2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- alignment of the text with IEC 60730-1 fifth edition (2013) including Amendment 1:2015;
- introduction of specific requirements for thermoplastic bodied valves for the control of water for tap and shower outlets (184.108.40.206 and Annex CC);
- removal of Subclause 18.102 Wetted material specifications. This part 2-8 is intended to be used in conjunction with IEC 60730-1. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2013) including Amendment 1 (2015) of that publication.
Key words: Automatic Controls, Electrically Operated Water valves
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.