IEC 60335-2-7:2019 RLV
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-7: Particular requirements for washing machines
IEC 60335-2-7:2019 deals with the safety of electric washing machines for household and similar use, that are intended for washing clothes and textiles, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances. This standard also deals with the safety of electric washing machines for household and similar use employing an electrolyte instead of detergent. Additional requirements for these appliances are given in Annex CC. Guidance is given in Annex DD for requirements that can be used to ensure an acceptable level of protection against electrical and thermal hazards for washing machines fitted with a power driven wringer. Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
Examples of such appliances are washing machines for communal use in blocks of flats or in launderettes. As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by washing machines that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account:
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– for washing machines intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
– washing machines intended exclusively for industrial purposes (ISO 10472-2);
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– washing machines incorporating steam generating devices in which steam is produced at a pressure exceeding 50 kPa.
This eighth edition cancels and replaces the seventh edition published in 2008, Amendment 1: 2011 and Amendment 2:2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– requirements for steam generators in 3.1.9, 3.6.101, 19.101, 22.106, 22.107;
– additional definitions for washing machine types in 3.5.101,3.5.102, 3.5.103;
– revised temperature limits for external accessible surfaces in 11.3 and 11.8;
– revised test procedure for the spillage test in 15.2;
– additional requirements for appliances that are controlled by programmable electronic circuits that limit the number of heating elements and motors from being energised at the same time, Subclause 22.108.
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61 - Safety of household and similar electrical appliancesrss|
|ICS||97.060 - Laundry appliances
13.120 - Domestic safety
|File size||1756 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.