Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery - Safety - Part 1: General requirements
- hand-held tools (IEC 62841-2);
- transportable tools (IEC 62841-3);
- lawn and garden machinery (IEC 62841-4). The above listed categories are hereinafter referred to as "tools" or "machines". The rated voltage is not more than 250 V for single-phase a.c. or d.c. tools, and 480 V for three-phase a.c. tools. The rated input is not more than 3 700 W. The limits for the applicability of this standard for battery tools are given in K.1 and L.1. This standard deals with the hazards presented by tools which are encountered by all persons in the normal use and reasonably foreseeable misuse of the tools. Tools with electric heating elements are within the scope of this standard. Hand-held electric tools, which can be mounted on a support or working stand for use as fixed tools without any alteration of the tool itself, are within the scope of this standard and such combination of a hand-held tool and a support is considered to be a transportable tool and thus covered by the relevant Part 3. This standard is scheduled to cancel and replace the fourth edition of IEC 60745-1, published in 2006, the first edition of IEC 61029-1, published in 1990, and the fifth edition of IEC 60335-1, published in 2010, only with respect to requirements concerning lawn and garden machinery. The latter publications remain valid until they are withdrawn. This standard constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the fourth edition of IEC 60745-1:
- requirements in various clauses introduced or modified in order to include the requirements for transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery (formerly covered by IEC 61029-1 and IEC 60335-1);
- leakage current test and electric strength test moved from former Clauses 13 and 15 to Annexes C and D;
- former Clauses 29, 30 and 31 renumbered to become Clauses 6, 13 and 15;
- requirements for electronic safety critical functions added to Clause 18;
- requirements for switches revised and moved from Annex I to Clause 23;
- clarifications in respect to soft materials (elastomers) added to Clauses 9, 19 and 13;
- test finger in Figure 1 of IEC 60745-1 and test probe in Figure 2 of IEC 60745-1 replaced by references to basic IEC standards;
- requirements for Li-Ion battery systems added to Annexes K and L and Annex M was removed. Key words: Tools, Electric-Motor-Operated, Hand held, Transportable, Lawn and Garden The contents of the corrigenda of May 2014 and of October 2015 have been included in this copy.
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 16:00 CET Monday to Friday.