Live working - Protective clothing against the thermal hazards of an electric arc - Part 1-1: Test methods - Method 1: Determination of the arc rating (ELIM, ATPV and/or EBT) of clothing materials and of protective clothing using an open arc
An open arc under controlled laboratory conditions is used to determine the values of ELIM, ATPV or EBT of materials, garments or assemblies of garments.
NOTE 1 The user can, if he desires, classify the arc protective performance into arc rating protection levels based on ELIM, ATPV and/or EBT values which correspond best to the different hazard and risks levels that can result from the user’s risk analysis.
NOTE 2 This document is not dedicated to classifying the arc protective performance of the material and clothing into arc protection classes. Procedures determining these arc protection classes APC1 and APC2 are specified in IEC 61482 1-2, which uses a constrained arc for testing.
NOTE 3 This test method is not intended and not appropriate to evaluate whether materials or garments are flame resistant or not, as this is covered in IEC 61482-2.
Other effects than the thermal effects of an electric arc like noise, light emissions, pressure rise, hot oil, electric shock, the consequences of physical and mental shock or toxic influences are not covered by this document.
Protective clothing for work intentionally using an electric arc, e.g. arc welding, plasma torch, is not covered by this document.
This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2009. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- addition of the Incident energy limit (ELIM) as a further arc rating performance property value;
- replacement of char length requirement in the scope by indication that Procedure A is applicable for testing of materials meeting the limited flame spread requirements of IEC 61482-2;
- clarification of the definition and the meaning of the Stoll curve;
- modification of specification of positioning of monitor sensors with respect to the electric arc as function of intended high incident energy exposure of test specimens;
- modification of specifications of monitor sensor construction;
- specification of black paint;
- elimination of calorimeters from the chest of the mannequin;
- specification for possible positioning of mannequin(s) at a height different from the centre of the electric arc and possible turning in order to adequately expose all parts of the garment or clothing which would affect performance;
- more explicit description of requirements for data acquisition system;
- preconditioning of the samples;
- modification of requirements for apparatus and arc exposure verification by bare shots;
- more explicit description of test procedures A and B, in particular the subclauses dealing with “sequence of test”, “test parameter” and “test criteria”;
- addition of determination of arc rating values of garments and/or garmet assemblies.
Key words: Protective Clothing, Thermal Hazards, Open Arc, Arc Rating
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 78 - Live workingrss|
|ICS||13.220.40 - Ignitability and burning behaviour of materials and products|
29.260.99 - Other electrical equipment for working in special conditions
|File size||2851 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.