Electric vehicle wireless power transfer (WPT) systems - Part 1: General requirements
Electric road vehicles (EV) covers road vehicles, including plug-in hybrid road vehicles (PHEV) that derive all or part of their energy from on-board rechargeable energy storage systems (RESS).
This document also applies to wireless power transfer (WPT) equipment supplied from on-site storage systems (e.g. buffer batteries).
The aspects covered in this document include
• the characteristics and operating conditions of a supply device,
• the specification for required level of electrical safety of a supply device,
• communication between EV device and vehicle to enable and control WPT,
• efficiency, alignment and other activities to enable WPT, and
• specific EMC requirements for a supply device.
The following aspects are under consideration for future documents:
• requirements for MF-WPT systems supplying power to EVs in motion;
• requirements for bidirectional power transfer.
This document does not apply to:
• safety aspects related to maintenance,
• WPT system for trolley buses, rail vehicles and vehicles designed primarily for use off‑road, and
• any safety or EMC requirements for the vehicle side.
IEC 61980-1:2020 cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the contents of IEC 61980-1:2015 have been re-organized so that this document is generally applicable to any WPT technologies;
b) technology specific requirements, mostly for MF-WPT in the main text of IEC 61980-1:2015, have been transferred to IEC 61980-2 and IEC 61980-3;
c) Annex A, Annex B and Annex C have been removed and contents of these annexes have been transferred to the relevant technology specific parts of the IEC 61980 series;
d) duplications and overlaps of the requirements within IEC 61980-1:2015 have been resolved;
e) terms and definitions which are specified in IEC 61851-1:2017 and are applicable for WPT system have been directly described in this document, with modification for some terms. The reference to IEC 61851-1 is withdrawn.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 69 - Electrical power/energy transfer systems for electrically propelled road vehicles and industrial trucksrss|
|ICS||43.120 - Electric road vehicles|
|File size||1872 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share this page
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 16:00 CET Monday to Friday.