Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) - Part 4-5: Testing and measurement techniques - Surge immunity test
Note: a more recent version of this publication exists
IEC 61000-4-5:2014+AMD1:2017 CSV
- test levels;
- test equipment;
- test setups; and
- test procedures. The task of the described laboratory test is to find the reaction of the equipment under test (EUT) under specified operational conditions to surge voltages caused by switching and lightning effects. It is not intended to test the capability of the EUT's insulation to withstand high-voltage stress. Direct injections of lightning currents, i.e. direct lightning strikes, are not considered in this standard. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2005, and constitutes a technical revision which includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- a new Annex E on mathematical modelling of surge waveforms;
- a new Annex F on measurement uncertainty;
- a new Annex G on method of calibration of impulse measuring systems; and
- a new Annex H on coupling/decoupling surges to lines rated above 200 A. Moreover while surge test for ports connected to outside telecommunication lines was addressed in 6.2 of the second edition (IEC 61000-4-5:2005), in this third edition (IEC 61000-4-5:2014) the normative Annex A is fully dedicated to this topic. In particular it gives the specifications of the 10/700 µs combined wave generator. Keywords: electromagnetic compatibility, EMC, TC77, SC77B
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa, JCB and CUP), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 16:00 CET Monday to Friday.