Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-9: Particular requirements for grills, toasters and similar portable cooking appliances
Note: a redline version of this publication exists
IEC 60335-2-9:2019 RLV
Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are:
– barbecues for indoor use;
– candy floss appliances;
– contact grills (griddles);
– food dehydrators;
– induction wok hotplates;
– pop-corn makers;
– portable ovens;
– raclette grills;
– radiant grills;
– rotary grills;
– waffle irons;
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home.
However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements could be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
– stationary ovens and stationary grills (IEC 60335-2-6);
– warming plates (IEC 60335-2-12);
– frying pans and deep fat fryers (IEC 60335-2-13);
– microwave ovens (IEC 60335-2-25);
– barbecues for outdoor use (IEC 60335-2-78);
– appliances intended to burn charcoal or similar combustible fuels;
– appliances intended for commercial catering;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2008, Amendment 1:2012 and Amendment 2:2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– aligns the text with IEC 60335-1, Ed 5, and its Amendments 1 and 2;
– revises the abnormal tests for a toaster (19.11.2, 19.102).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61 - Safety of household and similar electrical appliancesrss|
|ICS||97.040.50 - Small kitchen appliances
13.120 - Domestic safety
|File size||1891 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.