IEC 60099-8:2017 PRV
Pre release version
Surge arresters - Part 8: Metal-oxide surge arresters with external series gap (EGLA) for overhead transmission and distribution lines of a.c. systems above 1 kV
AbstractThis Final Draft International Standard is an up to 6 weeks' pre-release of the official publication. It is available for sale during its voting period: 2017-09-01 to 2017-10-13. By purchasing this FDIS now, you will automatically receive, in addition, the final publication.
IEC 60099-8:2017 covers metal-oxide surge arresters with external series gap (externally gapped line arresters (EGLA)) that are applied on overhead transmission and distribution lines, only to protect insulator assemblies from lightning-caused flashovers. This document defines surge arresters to protect the insulator assembly from lightning-caused over-voltages only. Therefore, and since metal-oxide resistors are not permanently connected to the line, the following items are not considered for this document:
- switching impulse spark-over voltage;
- residual voltage at steep current and switching current impulse;
- thermal stability;
- long-duration current impulse withstand duty;
- power-frequency voltage versus time characteristics of an arrester;
- disconnector test;
- aging duties by power-frequency voltage.
Considering the particular design concept and the special application on overhead transmission and distribution lines, some unique requirements and tests are introduced, such as the verification test for coordination between insulator withstand and EGLA protective level, the follow current interrupting test, mechanical load tests, etc. Designs with the EGLA's external series gap installed in parallel to an insulator are not covered by this document. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2011. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- The Lightning discharge capability test has been completely re-written and re-named to Test to verify the repetitive charge transfer rating, Qrs with lightning discharges to reflect changes introduced in IEC 60099-4 Ed. 3 (2014) regarding new methods for rating the energy and charge handling capability of metal-oxide arresters. In addition to testing to evaluate the performance of the MO resistors, procedures for evaluating the performance of the EGLA series gaps have been introduced.
- Omissions from Ed. 1 of this standard have been included, notably an RIV test and a means for determining the thermal time constant of the SUV portion of the EGLA.
- Definitions for new terms have been added.
- A number of NOTES in Ed. 1 have been converted to normative requirements.
Keywords: externally gapped line arresters (EGLA), lightning-caused over-voltages
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). The following credit cards are accepted: American express, Mastercard and Visa. Request a pro forma to pay by bank transfer.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.