IEC 60840:2020 PRV
Pre release version
Power cables with extruded insulation and their accessories for rated voltages above 30 kV (Um = 36 kV) up to 150 kV (Um = 170 kV) - Test methods and requirements
IEC 60840:2020 specifies test methods and requirements for power cable systems, cables alone and accessories alone, for fixed installations and for rated voltages above 30 kV (Um = 36 kV) up to and including 150 kV (Um = 170 kV).
The requirements apply to single-core cables and to individually screened three-core cables and to their accessories for usual conditions of installation and operation, but not to special cables, such as submarine cables and their accessories, for which modifications to the standard tests or the setup of special test conditions can be necessary.
This document does not cover transition joints between cables with extruded insulation and paper insulated cables.
This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition, published in 2011. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Gas immersed cable terminations for use at rated voltages above 52 kV are required to be designed, type and routine tested in accordance with IEC 62271-209 in addition to the routine and type tests specified in this document.
- Requirements are introduced for composite outdoor termination insulators.
- The test cylinder diameters specified for the bending test (type and prequalification tests) have been modified in line with IEC TR 61901:2016.
- A low smoke halogen free oversheath material, designated ST12 is introduced.
- Additional tests under fire conditions are introduced: vertical flame spread, smoke density, acidity and conductivity, which shall be applied according to the fire performance declared for the cable.
- A test for water penetration in the conductor is added.
- In addition to tests on the outer protection of joints, type tests on the screen sectionalizing insulation of all accessories have been introduced.
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.