IEC 62053-41:2021 PRV
Pre release version
Electricity metering equipment - Particular requirements - Part 41: Static meters for DC energy (classes 0,5 and 1)
IEC 62053-41:2021 applies only to static watt-hour meters of accuracy classes 0,5 and 1 for the measurement of DC electrical energy in DC systems, and it applies to their type tests only.
This document applies to electricity metering equipment designed to:
• measure and control electrical energy on electrical networks with two poles where one of the poles is connected to earth and with voltage up to 1 500 V DC;
• have all functional elements, including add-on modules, enclosed in, or forming a single meter case with the exception of indicating displays;
• operate with integrated or detached indicating displays, or without an indicating display;
• be installed in a specified matching socket or rack;
• optionally, provide additional functions other than those for measurement of electrical energy.
They may be used for measuring DC electrical energy, amongst others, in the following application areas:
• in EV (electrical vehicle) charging stations or in EV charging infrastructures, if the measurement is placed on the DC side;
• in information technology (IT) server farms;
• in DC supply points for communication equipment;
• in low voltage DC networks for residential or commercial areas, if the measurement is placed on the DC side;
• in solar PV (photovoltaic) systems where DC power generation is measured;
• in DC supply points for public transport networks (e.g. trolleybus, etc.).
Meters designed for operation with low power instrument transformers, LPITs as defined in the IEC 61869 series, may be tested for compliance with this document only if such meters and their LPITs are tested together and meet the requirements for directly connected meters.
This document does not apply to:
• meters for which the voltage between the two poles, where one of the poles is connected to earth, exceeds 1 500 V DC;
• meters to be used in networks other than with two poles in which one of the poles is connected to earth;
• meters intended for connection with low power instrument transformers (LPITs as defined in the IEC 61869 series) when tested without such transformers;
• metering systems comprising multiple devices physically (except LPITs) remote from one another;
• portable meters;
• meters used in rolling stock, vehicles, ships and airplanes;
• laboratory and meter test equipment;
• reference standard meters;
• data interfaces to the register of the meter;
• matching sockets or racks used for installation of electricity metering equipment;
• any additional functions provided in electrical energy meters.
This document does not cover measures for detection and prevention of fraudulent attempts to compromise a meter’s performance (tampering).
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 13 - Electrical energy measurement and controlrss|
|ICS||17.220.20 - Measurement of electrical and magnetic quantities|
|File size||1001 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.