IEC 60331-1:2018 RLV
Tests for electric cables under fire conditions - Circuit integrity - Part 1: Test method for fire with shock at a temperature of at least 830°C for cables of rated voltage up to and including 0,6/1,0 kV and with an overall diameter exceeding 20 mm
IEC 60331-1:2018 specifies the test method for cables which are required to maintain circuit integrity when subject to fire and mechanical shock under specified conditions. This document is applicable to cables of rated voltage not exceeding 600 V/1 000 V, including those of rated voltage below 80 V, metallic data and telecom cables and optical fibre cables. It is intended for use when testing cables of greater than 20 mm overall diameter. Cables of smaller diameter are intended to be tested using the apparatus, procedure and requirements of IEC 60331-2. This document includes details for the specific point of failure, continuity checking arrangement, test sample, test procedure and test report relevant to electric power and control cables with rated voltage up to and including 600 V/1 000 V. Details for the specific point of failure, continuity checking arrangement, test sample, test procedure and test report relevant to metallic data and telecom cables and optical fibre cables are not given by IEC 60331-1. Although the scope is restricted to cables with rated voltage up to and including 0,6/1,0 kV, the procedure can be used, with the agreement of the manufacturer and the purchaser, for cables with rated voltage up to and including 1,8/3 (3,3) kV, provided that suitable fuses are used. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2009. It constitutes a technical revision. The significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition are as follows:
– extension of the scope to include metallic data and telecom cables and optical fibre cables, although details for the specific point of failure, continuity checking arrangement, test sample, test procedure and test report relevant to metallic data and telecom cables and optical fibre cables are not given by IEC 60331-1;
– improved description of the test environment;
– modified steel test ladder with two extra vertical elements to accommodate the modified testing of single core cables without concentric metal layer and the testing of cables with a bending radius in normal use larger than approximately 400 mm;
– mandatory use of mass flow meters/controllers as the means of controlling accurately the input flow rates of fuel and air to the burner;
– improved description of the information to be included in the test report.
This document has the status of a group safety publication in accordance with IEC Guide 104.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 20 - Electric cablesrss|
|ICS||29.060.20 - Cables|
29.020 - Electrical engineering in general
13.220.40 - Ignitability and burning behaviour of materials and products
|File size||2013 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.