IEC 60335-2-23:2016+AMD1:2019 CSV
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-23: Particular requirements for appliances for skin or hair care
- curling combs;
- curling irons;
- curling rollers with separate heaters;
- facial saunas;
- hair straighteners;
- hand dryers;
- heaters for detachable curlers and permanent-wave appliances. Appliances covered by this standard may incorporate steam-producing or spray-producing devices. Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. This standard deals with the reasonably foreseeable hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons. However, in general, it does not take into account persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction; children playing with the appliance. This standard does not apply to:
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- shavers, hair clippers and similar appliances;
- blankets, pads, clothing and similar flexible heating appliances;
- appliances for skin exposure to optical radiation;
- sauna heating appliances;
- cosmetic and beauty care appliances incorporating lasers and intense light sources or appliances intended for medical purposes. This sixth edition cancels and replaces the fifth edition published in 2003 including its Amendment 1 (2008) and its Amendment 2 (2012). This edition constitutes a technical revision. The principal changes in this edition as compared with the fourth edition of IEC 60335-2-23 are as follows (minor changes are not listed):
- added hair straighteners to the list of examples covered by the standard;
- modified 7.12 to apply to appliances, and not just to hairdryers;
- added new instructions in 7.12 for hair straighteners and curling irons;
- exempted fixed hairdryers and fixed hand dryers from alternative format of instructions;
- excluded detachable curler surfaces from temperature rise requirement in Subclause 11.8;
- clarified in Subclause 19.7 that the appliance shall not emit flame after the test;
- clarified method of test and compliance criteria in Subclause 21.101;
- added requirement in 22.13 to delineate handles on curling irons and hair straighteners;
- in 22.103, added a requirement for protection against hair being pulled into hair dryer intake;
- revised Subclause 24.101 to indicate that protective devices shall not be self-resetting and reviewed and converted notes to normative text in Subclauses 19.7, 22.32, and 25.14. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard. The attention of National Committees is drawn to the fact that equipment manufacturers and testing organizations may need a transitional period following publication of a new, amended or revised IEC publication in which to make products in accordance with the new requirements and to equip themselves for conducting new or revised tests. It is the recommendation of the committee that the content of this publication be adopted for implementation nationally not earlier than 12 months or later than 36 months from the date of its publication.
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60335-1:2010.
This consolidated version consists of the sixth edition (2016) and its amendment 1 (2019). Therefore, no need to order amendment in addition to this publication.
Key words: Skin Care, Hair Care, Curling, Dryers
|Publication type||International Standard|
|TC/SC||TC 61 - Safety of household and similar electrical appliancesrss|
|ICS||13.120 - Domestic safety
97.170 - Body care equipment
|File size||2111 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.